• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

GMO(Genetically modified organism) discussion

Im gonna have to agree with Japan on this one, I believe one of their ministers of Aggro stated that they will try to learn the effects of GMO foods by watching how today's American children grow up.

That being said, while I am a scientist and I have all the respect for the scientific exploration of every possible frontier, the way Big Agriculture is going about this is all wrong. In fact, I will state that it is entirely morally wrong, and a large crime is being committed against humanity and Nature.

Do I believe the absolute value of genetically modified code, or genetic code in any form, is good or bad? No, it is what it is - a series of molecules. I see the scientific value in all things, diseases, impact events, nuclear waste, everything is data that has some use to the Universe and thus some use to humanity. The fact that a genetically modified species of corn exists is not a problem.

This is a wholly separate issue from how these new products of science are being tested, used, deployed, and intended for.

Im not sure how aware people are of the actions of Monsanto corporation and other Big Aggro affiliates in the world, but these are our new masters. In this modern time, democracy serves as a great hoax to quell the masses from acute disagreement with the intentions of their corporate oligarchs. Agriculture no longer is a tool used by humanity, it is an industry which uses humanity to produce capital (this is not a discussion about capitalism in its entirety). From the types of crops which appear on your store shelves, to the type of crops which are grown in place of regional crops around the world, to the very dietary advice sponsored by US Government aid, including food labels and our beloved food pyramid, Big Agriculture has every intention of maximizing profits at the expense of all life on Earth.

With that, there are some great dangers in the uncontrolled manner with which Agricultural industries, such as the GMO Food/Research industry, are deploying, testing, and saturating the markets with their products. Most of the things were consuming already are from genetically modified crops, but does the American public get to see these products labeled? No, quite a lot of energy has been put forth by Monsanto, Wal Mart, and other GMO Food companies to prevent legislation from mandating such a label. Around the world, indigenous crops are being destroyed from the genetic record while GMO soybeans, canola, bananas, wheat, and corn are being grown at rates never seen before in areas of the world that have had seen extremely diverse crops for thousands of years. Entire nations are being pinned down by corporate dollars to grow a single crop intended for US markets, and the environmental effects of treating agriculture like an assembly line are only compounding the already existing detrimental effects of modern industry on the Earth. Government subsidies prevent Americans from enjoying real diversity of products in their grocery stores - 150 years ago each piece of fruit common to an American supermarket had thousands of different species, and now each has between 1 and 30, typically falling on the lesser portion. The amount of grains people should consume regularly is drastically over-exaggerated by dietary information provided by corporate and government funding in favor of grain production.

Then there is the issue of patenting GMO foods and materials. This has caused intolerable amounts of problems for common every day farmers as corporate farms are spreading their genetic material to farms across the world, claiming the crop is their patented material and suing "competition" out of business. GMO material often pollutes species of a variety of crops which farmers have been genetically engineering for thousands of years, from generation to generation, only to have those efforts destroyed in one single generation of "accidental" mixing with corporate patented material. Most recently, Big Aggro is merging into a small circle of about 5 corporations in the world - so just as there are 6 corporations which control 95% of the media consumed in the USA, there are 5 corporations which control 90% of the foodstuffs grown and consumed in the WORLD.

Do you really want round up ready vegetables in your salad? Do you want your fruits grown with pesticides mixed in with their nutrients? Do you honestly think self destroying/suicide crops are safe to mix freely with the genetic material of the Earth?

Scarier still, Big Aggro does not see the overpopulation of the globe as a problem but an opportunity. Big Aggro wants the world to bloat to 10 billion or more in order to justify increased mass production of GMO Foods.

Humans are no longer the consumers of the worlds foodstuffs, Agricultural corporations are the consumers of Humans.

The Future of Food
is my favorite documentary to introduce people to the current state of agricultural politics. GMO foods are one huge node in a web of agricultural problems we are facing today, which will effect us for decades to come. Again, the problem is not so much with GMO foods themselves, its how they are being unknowingly and subversively unleashed on the world. Science is not possible without honesty.

GMO is not our friend or enemy, its merely a science project being criminally forced onto the world without the world's consent.

A bit of background on this thread. I suggested te3s started this thread to discuss the 'health consequences' of GM foods without really thinking about it. Maybe it would be better suited in SO, with discussion leaning towards more of the ethics, etc of the subject.

Mods? :)

First please write shorter posts.Second I don't think that this food will be so bad.We must not forget the biohackers.And yes I want to eat GMO if it is well done.

Troll much...

First please write shorter posts.

Generally people start threads because they want to discuss or debate an issue or topic. In an internet forum this requires, er, writing and reading.

If you don't want to read what someone has to say maybe consider watching TV instead, the ten second no-discussion-required soundbites might be more your style.

^ I believe that English is not te3s' first language, give the guy a break.

I have read that 80% of Corn and Soy crops in the USA are already these GM varieties. These 2 crops are the predominant crops in Western Agriculture and are used in a myriad of processed foods in the form of vegetable oil. So, if you are aware of it or not, it's here and your diet is likely to already include it.

Health concerns? I'm not sure. But I have a particular interest in heirloom varieties of vegetables, rather than the monoculture of crops we have today. It is also interesting how it relates to your general nutrition too.

Last edited:
Great post rm-rf! I remember reading about Monsanto patenting GMO seeds for their crops whereby the plants would produce only infertile seeds at the end of the farming cycle. That is, the farmers would be forced to buy further seeds every cycle without being able to save/store seeds from the crops. Did this ever come about? I think they were targeting India from memory?

Fuck these corporations -.-

There can be certain dangers involved with non tested gm crops but if you think your cauliflower grew like it is now in the wild then you're in for a surprise.

If the anti GM crops people stopped eating fruit/vegetables that hasn't been modified over hundreds of years I don't think there's much left to eat.

Last edited:
^ Isn't that Genetic Selection rather than Genetic Modification?

Suppose it is genetic selection but you should say classic genetic selection,it is selective breeding where the genetics get altered/introduced and/or genetic mutation occurs.
There is a difference between that and GMO since it's done indirectly but the results can be the same hence my point of view.

Last edited:
GMO is always an enemy. I won't touch anything GMO with someone elses taste buds.

Everything that you eat has been genetically modified. Granted, gene splicing =/= artificial selection, but the principle is more or less the same. Choose the traits you want most in your product, and select for them genetically by whatever techniques are available. Heirloom tomatoes may not be GM in the modern sense, but they do not resemble by any means the original wild plants from which they were derived.

[/devil's advocate]

Like most situations, GM foods are not black/white. I think that with the right ethos behind it, GM crops could well be a great boon, particularly with drought resistant, high yield and hyper-nutritious strains. However, I don't think that the current situation has the right ethos behind it. When the main motivator is profit above all else, suffering ensues. Poorly/incompletely tested strains with unknown or hidden side effects, proprietary and non-seeding strains (forcing usually poor farmers to purchase new seeds each season rather than allowing them to gather their own) and strains designed only to work with other proprietary products (like canola strains that are coupled to a particular herbicide) are just some of the lousy things that GM technology is being used for.

Genetic modification, like any technology, is a tool. Its inherent 'goodness' or 'badness' comes from how it is used, and by whom.

They're the big players, yup. Getting obscenely rich off of destitute farmers that can't even afford subsistence farming any more. Monsanto is pretty damn close to evil, and it is people like them which are giving GM technology a horrible name.

Just for the record, I avoid GM foods whenever I can. Although they aren't required to be labelled, it's a pretty safe bet that things like supermarket tomatoes (which don't taste like anything anyway) are GM.

Interesting, Dave :)

I watched a documentary about the Svalbard Global Seed Vault a few months back. One of the scientists who is involved in the seed bank traveled deep into rural areas all around the world. He was looking for seed that were very early cultivars or mainly the wild version of common crops today like soy, chick peas etc.

Anyway, I think the idea was that if the wild species had, and have survived thousands of years of varying climates and conditions that they would be the seeds that would be the most adapted to harsh environments. (So they would be the best suited to an environment after a natural disaster).

Do you think GM crops specifically designed for drought resistance could be better than straight species that have evolved and adapted over 10's of thousands of years? :)

Pretty interesting all round, I must say!

When is profit not the main motivator for anything?

when youre a social anarchist?

:-/

First please write shorter posts.Second I don't think that this food will be so bad.We must not forget the biohackers.And yes I want to eat GMO if it is well done.

then you deserve to be a slave

Dave said:
Everything that you eat has been genetically modified. Granted, gene splicing =/= artificial selection, but the principle is more or less the same. Choose the traits you want most in your product, and select for them genetically by whatever techniques are available. Heirloom tomatoes may not be GM in the modern sense, but they do not resemble by any means the original wild plants from which they were derived.

Genetic engineering != Genetic modification. The principle is not even close to the same.